Saturday, July 12, 2014

Best Bay Area Old Man Bars

I once hung out with Anthony Bourdain. Before he was famous, before I had any clue who he was, probably before he fully had a clue who he could be, before I considered myself a foodie but after I could do up a mean souffle & pick good whiskey out of a line on a top bar shelf without being close enough to read the labels. This was in November 2000 after I checked out Damien Hirst & Matthew Barney exhibits at the Gagosian & went in search of a drink at an old man bar. Let's pretend I wound up at Walter's - looks about right through the haze of time although the crowd looks different. But hey, things clearly change.

On the lottery-winning-stats-chance he ever reads this & declares that he never drank on the west side back in the day, hey, it's been a long time, I could be wrong. But I'm NOT wrong about getting the shit scared out of me running into Christopher Walken during the SF Film Festival in the bowels of the Kabuki.

I digress.

I love an old man bar. I especially love an old man bar when it comes under new ownership by a woman who still welcomes the old men but invites others & finds a way to bring it all into harmony. Hotsy Totsy anyone? You'll have to find out about that on your own - its merits are too awesome to fully share.

Again ... I digress.

Back to SF & the greater Bay Area for some of my fave old man bars.




No comments:

Post a Comment