Friday, August 8, 2014

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood ... with Dogs

Let's get one thing straight. I don't pretend to think I can afford to buy $1000 & up bottles of wine. Not because I can't afford it (although it does seem a bit profligate regardless of personal worth) buth rather because I don't trust my palate to appreciate it.

Now if you follow me at all or know me personally you might be a bit surprised - I've often been called an elitist, a snob, an epicure & a spendthrift.

But this is not because I undervalue my own tongue but rather because there's ample evidence that very few people can truly differentiate between even reds & whites in a blind taste test much less anything more subtle. (I truly think *I* can tell the difference between white & red - I can tell  a lot of varietals so at least I've got that going for me.)

Have you seen Top Chef Masters where Very Famous Chefs can't tell certain flavors when blindfolded? Human often overestimate their own abilities. Snob that I am I do embrace this simple truth & short of being alien instead of human I know that I, too, probably shouldn't spend over $1000 for something I'm probably going to share with friends & down within the hour.

Okay onward.

Here are my fave places in Sonoma to taste wine. Why Sonoma? I'm just there right now - slightly closer to the city, fewer tourists, more laid back, less blazing heat.

Points

3 - tasty wines
3 - laid-back staff
2 - dog friendly
2 - outdoor seating
2 - food option with wine
1 - kid friendly

Wineries

Gun Bun 13
Scribe  12                                                                      
Kunde 10


No comments:

Post a Comment